Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How to 'win' a debate

It's important to establish what we mean by "winning" a debate. For me, it means showing that your logic and ideas stand up to scrutiny and criticism better than that of your your opponent.

I do not believe - as so many people seem to do - that you "win" a debate or argument by having the last word, being more insulting or making the other person feel worse than you do. I could do this whilst arguing that the world is flat, all it would achieve is to make me a childish, insecure or unpleasant person.

Also I do not pretend to be an expert or even good at debates. I do feel that, having been subjected to a lot of criticism and scrutiny as a 'tradtionalist' or 'conservative', I've gained enough experience to be able to hold my own.

So here are my ideas for a beneficial and effective debate.

1) Cite credible sources.

One of the biggest mistakes I see in debates is people using no or useless sources. When we are talking about contentious or controversial issues, it's crucial to have a believable source of backup. That does not include personal blogs or properganda groups. Credible sources could include well known newspapers, academic figures, known think tanks, works of authority, etc.

2) Distinguish opinion from fact.

"Labour are introducing ID cards" is a fact, "Labour MPs are idiots" is an opinion (one I would agree with!) but one mistake I see so often is people - often people who should know better - stating their opinion as a fact. In a debate, we should distinguish the two. I do this by presenting my opinion with short fore-statements such as "I believe that...." or "In my mind....." etc.

3) Avoid simple logical fallacies.

If a man with blue eyes committed a bank robbery, I don't think anyone would say: "This shows blue eyed people are bank robbers". Yet so many people would say, for example: "Two party xyz members were arrested for robbery. This shows us the sort of people who support xyz". Such sweeping statements are a particularly prominent issue in Thai politics at the moment.
Statements like this can only be justified if the number of people committing the act are above a statistical average.

For a useful list of logical fallacies, consult:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

or

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html


3) Stay on topic and don't award things to yourself.

Whenever I read or hear people say: "I beat you and ruined your argument" etc. I know it's a sure sign that they could not find anyone else to do it for them. It also strikes me - and I suspect, most people - as juvenile. Likewise, when people asses their own intelligence, I find it to be an almost certain sign of insecurity.

4) Don't be aggressive by nature

While it's natural that some debates will become heated, try to avoid them becoming personal slanging matches. In my experience, debates are more enjoyable and beneficial when they are done civilly. When criticisms become personal, it is human nature to become defensive and reluctant to consider the opposing opinion. This can only deter us from the truth.


5) Stay focused but also go with the flow.

One tactic for someone losing a debate is for them to change the subject. I recall one debate I had concerning ex Southampton FC manager Dave Jones and his criminal charges of child abuse. My opponent stated his guilt, I pointed to his total acquittal in court. My opponent responded: "But look how badly Wolves have been doing since he took over!". This is a total non-sequitur of course, but such tactics can work against younger people in particular.

So stay on topic but also be aware that debates can naturally lead into different topics, which is a good thing.

6) Keep to your own style, but also be versatile.

We naturally adjust our body language or manner to match another person. In a debate, a strong personality can use this to take you out of your comfort zone. For example, they may talk quickly or suddenly become aggressive in their tone. It's actually a similar tactic to a salesman who quickly thrusts out his hand for you to shake. It makes you feel committed or awkward and therefore makes you vulnerable.
To avoid this, simply make a conscious decision to keep to your own pace or manner. However, be prepared to change your manner or style when need be. For example, I know one blogger who can become lighthearted when criticised, serious when dealing with an important topic and calm when offering opinions. It sounds simple, but sometimes it isn't.

7) Don't be afraid to concede or compromise.

Above all of course, we should remember that every debate should have a purpose - even if that purpose is just fun - and should be beneficial. If it descends into a row or 'flame war' then don't be afraid of just 'walking' away. Nobody worthwhile is going to think less of you. Don't be afraid to concede either. After all, debates are for increasing our knowledge and understanding.

So these are my ideas. They are not ideas to I manage to stick to at all times and they are by no means extensive. I invite others to offer further ideas and suggestions.

Two excellent debates I have seen or heard recently:

Hitchens Vs Hitchens on Religion and the Iraq war:
http://tinyurl.com/d2jvlh

Dawkins Vs Lennox on religion:
http://tinyurl.com/d5cjmw

No comments: